***This is a borrowed recipe. I added some extra ingredients to take this recipe to another level. Here is the link to the original recipe: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2013/04/recipe-for-slow-cooker-chicken-lemon.html ***
Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5 quart
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 grated carrots
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced celery ribs
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 cup of cauliflower
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup orzo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Place chicken (chop in small cubes), broth and bay leaf in bottom of slow cooker.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl place the carrots, onion, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower, garlic, thyme, olive oil and parsley. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Transfer contents to slow cooker.
3. Add in the lemon rind, lemon juice and salt.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-6 hours.
5. Cook orzo over the stove top until tender (if added straight to the crock, it will soak up a lot of liquid and make it a little weird).
6.. Add cooked orzo into the slow cooker.
7. Stir and then add plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
8. Ladle into serving bowls and then top each bowl with about 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese.